Dr. Cliff Olson, Audiologist and Founder of Applied Hearing Solutions in Anthem Arizona, discusses how Bone Conduction Hearing Aids work.
My Website: http://www.AppliedHearingSolutions.com
Over 90% of hearing losses require the use of traditional hearing aids. For the other 10%, a different treatment method is needed. If you have Single Sided Deafness (SSD), a Conductive Hearing Loss, or Mixed hearing loss, you may have the option of a Bone Conduction Hearing Aid. Video: 3 types of Hearing Loss: https://youtu.be/D6hxNW7fHj0
A Bone Conduction Hearing Aid works by stimulating the Cochlea directly with vibration through the skull. This direct vibration bypasses the outer ear and middle ear. In the case of Single Sided Deafness, this signal passes around the skull to the opposite side ear that works properly. Video: Single Sided Hearing Loss Options: https://youtu.be/16LC2FYu1-U
For a Conductive hearing loss, the Bone Conduction Hearing Aid will transmit sound to the cochlea through the skull which bypasses the conductive hearing loss.
For a Mixed hearing loss, the Bone Conduction Hearing Aid will bypass the Conductive Hearing Loss and increase the stimulation to the Cochlea to overcome the Sensorineural portion of the Mixed hearing loss.
There are 4 different methods for using bone conduction devices.
1. Abutment – When a titanium post is surgically implanted into your skull. You then attach the Bone Conduction Hearing Aid or Bone Anchored Hearing Aid (BAHA)
2. Magnet – When a magnet is surgically implanted into your skull. You then attach the Bone Conduction Aid on a magnet that attaches through the skull.
3. Headband – Generally reserved for children, but the band will keep the Bone Conduction device firmly in place. This can also be relatively uncomfortable.
4. Adhesive Pad – This pad attaches via behind your ear on your mastoid bone. You then attach a Bone Conduction Device to the sticky pad. Not available in the USA at the time of this recording.